Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Contact Lenses are in my future (I guess)

I just found out about my physical and it’s what I thought, I got a Class C because of my uncorrected vision. So I have two choices: either get Lasik (out of the question because of cost and everything else that goes along with it), or get soft contact lenses. Oh, I guess I have one other option. Forget the whole volunteer EMT thing completely, which I don’t really want to do.

So, I guess I will try to get soft contact lenses. I need to wear them for at least a month without problems and have my ophthalmologist sign off on a form saying I’ve worn them for a month. I tried contact lenses about 6-7 years ago, but couldn’t get past the whole putting something on top of my eyeball issue. I’m an RN and not much bothers me, but I’m squeamish when it comes to my own eyes. Maybe it will be better this time since I have a big incentive to make this work, which I really didn’t have before. The eye doctor has to say I can wear soft lenses and not hard contact lenses because hard ones are not acceptable to be cleared to volunteer. I think I would be a good candidate for the soft ones.

Oh, well I guess I’ll see on Thursday when I have an appointment with my eye doctor. It takes a few days to a week to order contact lenses and then I need to go back in for fitting, learn how to wear them, etc. Which means I won’t be riding until at least 2nd week of June, which is right around the time when my daughter will be having her surgery for scoliosis. Man, I’m bummed!! One part of me is asking is this really worth it, how many hoops do you have to jump through to be a little volunteer EMT? You’d think I was trying to be a Navy Seal or something (which has the same uncorrected vision standard as my county I might add). I still want to be a volunteer. I’ve invested a lot of time in it and I didn’t join just to do Bingo (the rescue dept's main fundraiser). So I guess I’ll just keep at it (trying to satisfy the county I mean).

OK, so does anyone have any suggestions for getting over my squeamishness of putting something on my eyeball and my very strong blink reflex? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

No comments: